New engine wont idle, is this normal?

You may also want to check for spark with the kill switch removed from the wiring. Sometimes they stick or just go bad. It's rare but it happens.

I tried removing the spark plug And touching it to metal, spinning the wheel. No spark. Replaced the plug, same thing. So the issue is the cdi box or the magneto. I'm not home right now, but I have a spare magneto at home. I'll replace that when I get home and hopefully I'll get spark then. If not, I'll know it's the cdi

You may also want to check for spark with the kill switch removed from the wiring. Sometimes they stick or just go bad. It's rare but it happens.
Way ahead of you lol, that was one of the first things I tried when i replaced the plug and still didn't get spark.

I tend to go over some of the obvious things because a lot of folks that show up here have little mechanical knowledge. You seen to not be one of those folks. Sounds like you have it well under control. Hope it's something simple.

Me too. I checked on BMW, they have a cdi pretty reasonable, $10, but hopefully I won't need it. Even if the magneto replacement doesn't get it to spark, I'll contact them by email first and see if they will replace it. Prolly not, lol, but it can't hurt to try. The fuel shutoff also drips very slow when it's off, from around the handle I believe. But I'm not too worried about that. Put a pan under it, it didn't drip out too much. I just won't leave much gas in it when I put it away

I have had all good experiences when dealing with BMW. Both Matt and Jackie were fast to respond to emails. Sometimes within 20mins. They have so far made right any errors on their part.

UPDATE: I changed the magneto, still no spark which mean I have to wait on a new did. Sucks. I was hoping t would be an easy fix so I can get back to puttering down the road, lol. I'll contact BMW and see what they can do. It did quit within 30 minutes of use after all

I wish folks would post where they live. Their could be someone living near by with a extra one to let you use till you get your order or one to sell.

I wish folks would post where they live. Their could be someone living near by with a extra one to let you use till you get your order or one to sell.

It's a nice thought, but I doubt it where I live. I live out in the boonies. It's pretty clear no one around here has even considered putting an engine on a bike. People literally stopped what they were doing, and stared at me like i was an alien as I rode by, lol.

I purchased a PK80 kit by runwell from BMW and I have had it about 10 days now. It's a piece of S#!+. The clutch does nothing but slip and squeal.
I had to change the pads because they were stuck in the cage so tight. Getting them out just tore them to peaces. Good thing I ordered a set with the kit. I adjusted the clutch about 5 times in 2 days. I think the clutch shaft spring preload is incorrect. The only way it will move is with the clutch adjusted so tight that with the clutch lever put in the neutral possession the bell cover (pressure plate) is dragging on the pads and making a scraping sound and on the center stand the wheel will spin. I had to turn the idle screw in all the way to get it to idle with out it dying. It's new and is running on break in fuel, so I get it. It idles now fine. Upon closer inspection of a sort of rumble sound, I discovered that the small bevel gear was wobbling and fix that I had to remove the bevel gear screw to lightly tap the high spot to get it to run more true to the clutch cage gear. The screw was about an 1/8 of a turn loose. I than proceeded to remove the screw which was tight the whole way (ended up using Vice Grips couldn't keep a large screwdriver in the slot). All the threads were damaged (factory cross-thread). I cleaned the threads on the screw with a jewelers file for a temporary fix. I have a GT5 Pro Racing I am rebuilding. I was going to use the screw from it, but it is to short. I have bought 6 engines over the past 12 years (Iv'e had 4 bikes stolen over the years) this is by far the worst assembled engine Iv'e seen.
I have called BMW 4 time and E-mailed them and they have NOT replied to my request to contact me. I'm PISSED OFF a these jokers. They are now on the list of sellers NOT to buy from, they took BikeBerrys place. BikeBerry is now # 2.
The one on the left is the PK80. The one on the right is the GT5.
Iv'e been a mechanic and engine builder/machinist (air cooled VW & Porsche, Brigs & Stratton, ,Onan, Kohler Etc.) for 40 years, so I know what not to do to get these results. China should not allow impacts on the assembly line. Do it right, use a torque wrench.

Attachments

• KIMG0129.jpg
    KIMG0129.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 88
Back