NZer on hybrid

You will have to make some strategic decisionsas to what increase in capacity do you need to have adequate range.You can play the sequentional game that is guaranteed to work as long as the battery in use can handle the load.To the best of my limited knowledge lithium batteries have more voltage change over the discharge cycle than the other types,so paralleling them up with those would be even more problematic.They are also expensive and rather fussy,require a 'management' system that keeps track of individual cell voltages and cannot be fully discharged.But if treated right are reputed to be durable.The time you might run into trouble paralling dissimilar batteries is when the battery under load has a higher voltage than the (no load) battery you want to put in parallel with it,because it would start charging the other battery in addition to supplying the load.Another way t o check is this.Start with say your SLA's.monitor batt.voltage (under load!) switch in other batt.Does voltage increase,if so battery is supplying current,you could now turn off the SLA's, check voltage again &compare gives you idea which one contributing more.The current monitoring I mentioned before gives better info as to what's going onthough.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lazy electron...........

All electrons are lazy. They always take the easiest path.

A battery is just a whole bunch of lazy chemical electrons.

Different batteries have different numbers of the lazy boys.

If I am a battery, I need metal.

What is the lightest metal?

Lead? Me thinks not.

Lithium, me thinks yes.

So much science. Where are the pretty pictures?

Seriously, I almost regret going internal combustion with my first motor bicycle.

Back