Old Murray Cruiser.

Adding the front brake was easy. I drilled a hole and bolted it on. Your front fork looks different. It might be a problem.

Bicycle Brakes.jpg

The fender mounts were weak. I used fender washers inside the fenders and stronger bolts. I also welded a nut inside the fork because the original sheet metal nut was a joke. Leaving the fenders off is easier and safer.
Jon

Adding the front brake was easy. I drilled a hole and bolted it on. Your front fork looks different. It might be a problem.

View attachment 186248

The fender mounts were weak. I used fender washers inside the fenders and stronger bolts. I also welded a nut inside the fork because the original sheet metal nut was a joke. Leaving the fenders off is easier and safer.
Jon
Mine has a hole through there. May just need to open it depending on the size of the caliper mounting bolt. Thanks

View attachment 186248

Jon
What company are those calipers made by? They look nice and sturdy.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I may get those and hook up a Sunlite dual pull lever. Does yours stop ok with just the front caliper and rear coaster?
It stops good, a lot better than just the coaster brake can do. There are really steep hills here and I had a hard time just slowing down when going downhill. It's a lot safer going downhill now with the front brake. I can actually stop if I have to.

Here is my murray build I am still working on,I replaced the forks with some mountain bike forks with suspension and brake,replaced the crank to a wider one to clear pipe,kept the factory bearings for crank and forks.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 73
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 84
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 73
here is what i started with.
Nice That looks to be an older vintage than my 1987. Did you have any engine mounting issues with the thin diameter frame tubes?
Not sure what I am going to do with mine yet. I had 10-ball bottom bracket bearings that were a little hard to find. 9-ball seems more common.

Attachments

• murraydone3.jpg
    murraydone3.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 73
Back