Phantom 85 popping

mirman

Local time
12:36 PM
I recently built a bike with a Phantom 85. On low idle or even mid idle it is popping. When I let off the gas it goes pop pop pop and even sometimes when I'm cruising 20 miles an hour it'll pop. What does this mean?

Are you perhaps referring to not so much as a pop but instead referring to the sound of 4 stroking when not under load???...That would be normal with a Phantom.

I pulled the plug to look at it and it seemed to be a little bit rich so I moved the needle one notch towards lean
Keep in mind that your at sea level, the Phantom is actually designed to run pig rich, especially all the more so during the 300 mile breakin period...That needle valve in the JRL BoFeng carburetor needs to be no higher up the needle than the middle groove at sea level elevations which is also taking into consideration high temps and high humidity levels you have in Florida.

What you call "popping" is actually a four stroke sound when at idle or at a cruising speed not under load and is aiding in lubricating as well as cooling the motor which runs hot to begin with.

You DO NOT want to overheat a Phantom motor if you expect it to last.

Keep in mind that your at sea level, the Phantom is actually designed to run pig rich, especially all the more so during the 300 mile breakin period...That needle valve in the JRL BoFeng carburetor needs to be no higher up the needle than the middle groove at sea level elevations which is also taking into consideration high temps and high humidity levels you have in Florida.

What you call "popping" is actually a four stroke sound when at idle or at a cruising speed not under load and is aiding in lubricating as well as cooling the motor which runs hot to begin with.

You DO NOT want to overheat a Phantom motor if you expect it to last.
I put the needle back in the middle it runs better like that

I put the needle back in the middle it runs better like that
I am positively sure it does...The Phantom is a totally different animal then the common, "run of the mill" China Girls that folks have been used to.

They out perform the CGs by a mile but it is something that you need to get used to as being different even in how it is supposed to sound and run...Keep in mind that is a chainsaw cylinder they put on that thing...lol.,

I am positively sure it does...The Phantom is a totally different animal then the common, "run of the mill" China Girls that folks have been used to.

They out perform the CGs by a mile but it is something that you need to get used to as being different even in how it is supposed to sound and run...Keep in mind that is a chainsaw cylinder they put on that thing...lol.,
Mine came with the cylinder and the head as one piece

Back