Q-Matic drive sytem

Status
Not open for further replies.
AZBILL,
I did see my first Q-matic on the tri-state run(Rustoray). Really nice looking unit. It did out run my fixed gear OCC. Was a clean quiet ride. I have e-mailed you a few minor questions.

Jim

no emails or pm's in my box ( I rarely even look for pm's as they are usually nasty here ;))
you can reach me @ azgrampa@gmail.com

Hi Jim & Mike,

Thanks for your comments.

After a lot of research & testing we discovered a few interesting results. If the output shaft is supported in the middle, the torque of the motor pulls the secondary drive pulley towards the the primary drive pulley [on motor crankshaft], and the rear chain [or belt] pulls the output sprocket towards the rear wheel. These two forces want to tilt the output shaft and creates several issues. First problem is the front drive belt no longer runs "true" and is very hard on the cords inside the belt. Second problem concerns rear chain tension & alignment. Third problem is the amount of stress placed on the motor mount and mounting bolts.

All of our drive systems employ an additional rear mount to stop the drive system from placing too much stress on the motor mounts. On all current & future production drives [Q-Matic & Silent Power II] we use the external bearing carriers which in effect completely stops the rear twist on the output shaft, and also adds additional strength to the drive plate.

We also learned a lot about belt life in the process, and just like all our products, testing is the key to a quality product.

I guess we tried about every possible style of belt in the marketplace, some worked 100% and some were just a waste of time & money. Our current production belt isn't an off the shelf item, and in fact is the "toughest" belt I have ever seen for V pulley use. It is important to note the factory production belt isn't available at the average Auto parts, or hardware store, but can be replaced if needed with certain generic common belts [A25].

You can thank azbill for helping us find the best belt possible for our drive systems, he really put our drive systems to the test by pulling a trailer and climbing hills at the same time. THANK YOU Bill!

We need to also thank Jim & Chris Davis, and Ray Doucette for testing the Q-Matic drive [last year]on the 79 CC HF motor.

Have fun,

If my comments are "harsh" also that's too bad.
I never put down your product, it could be a good one, but I had issues with attitude of "dealers" ignoring my inquires (there was tons of complaints like this on this board).
And you Azbill were one of them. You never reply to my PM about your product.

I must say that only Quenton finally did reply, but by that time damage was done and I lost interest in your drive.

Sorry your organization reminds Amway, multilevel marketing system with primary goal to sign up new dealers, customers and product being the last concern.

Andy's Comments

Hi Andy, perhaps you can help me understand? IF you are disillusioned or disappointed, or upset in any way, why do you continue to read our threads, and make negative comments?

It would seem as tho that if you just ignored, or even put on ignore all of our threads, that you would be a happier guy?

I got to tell you, this I do not understand, and yes I did study Psyche in college.

Mike

I told you andy, you are not in my area, and I am not gonna sell to someone in another dealers area

I may be old and cranky, but I am not stealing a sale from a fellow dealer

that's the bottom line

I have also said numerous times, I don't check pm's here, too many have been/are nasty

Hi Quenton -

I talked to the local Colorado Springs dealer yesterday; he kept me in reality. Recall that I was going to purchase the Harbor Freight 79 cc engine. I decided against it when he told me I would have to build my own engine mount plate, and he reminded me that the 79cc displacement did not comply with the "under 50 cc rule" of this state.

I decided to stay with Honda engine and a common pulley ratio for this engine (2 inch and 5 inch). This simplifies building and keeps me legal.

I take it there is a reason for pulling the belt slack inward instead of pushing it outward? I learned a long time ago that if a V-belt were in a convex path instead of a concave path (for lack of better terms) the belt would last a lot longer.

Thanks,
Mike
Colorado Springs

Hi MikeJ,

The Honda motor is a great choice, and although it costs more, I think it a wise selection and is certainly legal in most states.

The reason we elected to use the idler on the outside of the belt is based on the original design of our Silent Power manual drive system. In order to have the belt release it is necessary to suspend the belt over the front pulley, and the only logical way is to control the shape via a controlled idler on the outside of the belt. In order to keep cost down [saves consumer money]we used the same layout on the Q-Matic. Because of size & design we don't have enough space to increase the outside of the belt path without making the entire drive larger. Another important consideration is "belt wrap", if the idler causes the belt to become "oval" it can lose too much traction, slip, overheat, and destroy the surface contact area of the belt. This is most evident when using smaller pulleys [2"].

We use a special belt designed as a "clutching" belt and therefore it last longer in our system.

The Q-Matic will actually work without the idler if the right belt is used. During one phase of belt testing I used a 1" smaller belt, forced it to fit, and found it hard on bearings & made the motor harder to start [too much drag]. Our research and testing lead us to use very minor pressure on the belt return path, and therefore the bottom idler only deflects the belt a very small amount on the Q-Matic.

I will include a photo of the early Q-Matic proto-type, and the only change in the production units was to move the idler wheel slightly forward to have it contact the return belt path in the center.

Hope this answers your questions, and be sure to contact us if we can be of more help.

Have fun,

Attachments

• 2 X Metric Center.jpg
    2 X Metric Center.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 371
Enough!!

Alright now, I want all of this horse hockey to stop here and now or warnings and /or infractions will result. This is not the least bit constructive, and is this the type of interaction you want visitors and / or new members to see?
There is not to be any antagonism between vendors / dealers (whether they be listed as such or not) on this site. It is in the rules, I suggest that everyone refamiliarize themselves with said rules and abide by them.

Alright now, I want all of this horse hockey to stop here and now or warnings and /or infractions will result. This is not the least bit constructive, and is this the type of interaction you want visitors and / or new members to see?
There is not to be any antagonism between vendors / dealers (whether they be listed as such or not) on this site. It is in the rules, I suggest that everyone refamiliarize themselves with said rules and abide by them.
it's about time for everyone to get this message, there are more than just one or two who regularly stir it up, and "it" is coming from all directions not just one. MBc has stuck by all of you, despite whatever you may have to say about the place or each other. it's adapted & accomodated over & over again, now it's YOUR turn to return the favor.

everyone...needs to start showing some appreciation for MBc and STOP with the digs already.

imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back