Solid axle conversion

Amwicr

Local time
4:48 AM
Hey guys,

The back axle on my MB is a quick release, and I don't really trust it, so I want to switch to solid axle. Any recommendations of what to replace it with? And where to find it? My local HD's are a pain to find any hardware, it's all a mess.

Thanks

I did a couple on mine but kept the original bearings and outer cups. The cups that came with the solid axles were slightly different, so I used the old ones and threaded them on the new axle.

On mine I did not see a way to remove the bearing races in the hub. As far as I could tell the races were machined into the hub. Maybe on some the bearing race could be removed and you would be left with a bearing land to install sealed bearing. Don't really know.

I did a couple on mine but kept the original bearings and outer cups. The cups that came with the solid axles were slightly different, so I used the old ones and threaded them on the new axle.

On mine I did not see a way to remove the bearing races in the hub. As far as I could tell the races were machined into the hub. Maybe on some the bearing race could be removed and you would be left with a bearing land to install sealed bearing. Don't really know.
Cool

I think I can find a free solid axle, and see if it fits. Not from a high end bike, so we'll see if it bends or anything. I have gained 20 lbs since the summer, so I can't argue that I'm skinny, and oh, it'll be fine. But free is free so I'll give it a shot.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Cool

I think I can find a free solid axle, and see if it fits. Not from a high end bike, so we'll see if it bends or anything. I have gained 20 lbs since the summer, so I can't argue that I'm skinny, and oh, it'll be fine. But free is free so I'll give it a shot.
Free can also mean being broke-down/accidents/hospital or worse. Department store bicycle axles will bend. Replace it with a cro-molly axle.

1705075910109.png

Like this but you may need 10 mm.
Great price, doubt they will ship to Canada without charging you an arm and a leg.

Back