Will the GEBE system handle this?

Someone that used to post here(I really forgot his nick) ran a 47r through a GEBE belt w/o issue BUT he was a cyclist and always pedal assisted his starts.
The folks at GEBE seem to like the Tanaka 33 over the 40 because it is much smaller and quieter with near the same power as the 40, plus it meets all the latest smog certs for small engines.

hi torques :)

what pete said.

when den was setting me up, i was given my choice of engine...but when i heard his points about the 40 maybe being a bit too much for regular application, i happily defferred to his recommendation of the 33. when the new bike gets built, the 33 (with 600 miles on it) will be setup with boost-bottle and 12tooth gear, and a gebe-built wheelset w/12g rear spokes...i'm expecting i'll have a pretty nice drivetrain overall. fyi, i always pedal-assist my machines, sometimes up to as fast as i can, just for the fun of it.

obviously, i can't compare, but there ya go, that's what i know :)

btw-rif is building a gebe system off a 47...we'll get some real-time feedback from him eventually.

Their specs say the clutch is a 78 millimeter, does that mean it would match up with the housing, same as a Robin?

And, they all fit GEBE. Just one little tip. If you have a couple of these engines and swap them periodicaly for different loads or terrain, drill a 5/16 hole in the GEBE clutch mounting bracket in line with the lower left engine mount bolt. Makes it MUCH easier to remove and replace. Takes about 15 minutes to change engines. I made a bracket that allows me to swap 1 gal. gas tanks easily also (from mixed to straight gas). Works great for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what you're talking about Ken. It sounds interesting though, can you explain a little more in detail?

Will the 420 or 460 run ok tilted forward around 25-30 degrees? Would there be any fuel supply problems? I'm thinking if someone wants me to put one of these motors on a stretch cruiser like my own, it would be helpful to know, thanks in advance.

One Last Idea

Torques should add a video camera to hang out and capture bike at speed, just before it goes air born. Figure it to be a million-view YouTube show...

I am very curious to know how the GEBE system handles that motor, even with 12 gauge spokes and a reinforced engine rack and straps, which is what I guess would help.

Am still flirting with idea of buying a Mitsubishi TLE from Vizla for $188 just to have, "in case." It is good to know what to expect and how to prevent "stuff" from happening.

Back