Will too much oil ruin a motor?

inspectorcritic

Local time
12:56 PM
Well, did it again the second motor I lost in a month!

I change from Lucas oil after I thought I'll run it 6 oz to 1 gallon
I switch to superior-tech oil put it in 6 oz to 1 gallon.
Would switching from semi-automatic to regular cause it or is the Supertech the problem.

Also if you know of any assembled motorize bikes like b**ch cruisers or Navy cruisers for under $350.00 please let me know got to replace the frame too.

I don't have any experience with the Chinese two strokes......
but lots of experience with RC airplane engines and outboards and weed eaters.

Not over a short duration. You're running 20% oil that's pretty high but not bad for break-in.
There was a time when outboards ran 16 to 25:1. All the time. I have a 1995 two-stroke outboard that manual recommends 25 to one for break-in, or severe use.

Over a longer duration you might build up some extra carbon if you don't decarbonize the engine. Which would cause rings to stick and break and score cylinders and self-destruct, etc. That depends on engine tolerances. In days of old engines had big tolerances and tolerated carbon well. by the 1990s those tolerances had tightened up a lot with CNC manufacturing, and you had to decarbonize motors about every hundred hours or you could break a ring lose compression, etc.

But chances are it's just a cheap POS engine..... And what you're doing with it is too much for it...... In my uneducated opinion.

If you've lost two engines in a month, are you breaking them in with Dino oil? Toyota racing proved that breaking their engines in with synthetic was bad im, it led to early camshaft failures. Conventional wisdom of engine builders is that the the cross that's land in cylinders gets burnushed/extruded over The valleys when you break in with synthetic and results in reduced oil retention on cyl walls. These are largely four-stroke phenomena two strokes are extremely well oiled..... In fact two stroke outboards, rarely ever actually wore out...... They failed mostly from lack of use, internal corrosion.......which interests me because I resurrected one that sat outside for 13 years with no prep before sitting..... Perfect compression and it's flawless. That's how well two strokes are lubricated generally. I've got about 200 hours on it since I resurrected it.

Last edited:
I bet that HP carb ya got is running way lean
What happened ya fried the piston again?

Not really, i ran super tech marine stuff for a looong time before switching to husky chainsaw stuff (im betting its the same thing, same color and smell)

if you burn out an engine, it most likely your running it too hot or too lean, since that will screw up a motor quickly if you're not careful.

something else must be up, whats your cylinder head temp?

speaking of outboards mix ratios my 1947 sears Elgin calls for 16:1!
i personally run it on 32:1 with no issues, surprisingly torquey motor.

Not really, i ran super tech marine stuff for a looong time before switching to husky chainsaw stuff (im betting its the same thing, same color and smell)

if you burn out an engine, it most likely your running it too hot or too lean, since that will screw up a motor quickly if you're not careful.

something else must be up, whats your cylinder head temp?

speaking of outboards mix ratios my 1947 sears Elgin calls for 16:1!
i personally run it on 32:1 with no issues, surprisingly torquey motor.

I got kooling heads on both and my needle sitting is factory they were both running really well then just seized up.

6oz to a gallon?
Take it to 4oz and stay with it.
That's 32:1

I got kooling heads on both and my needle sitting is factory they were both running really well then just seized up.

On my $$$ husky chainsaw, dealer set up by tach and ear (4 stroke sound). Manual has procedure. Of course it turns higher rpm.

Cant depend on factory settings. I used to do similar with rc engines.

Id say even more so for chinese products.

Carburetors f'd up by ethanol gas is another possibility that can result in lean running.

Once we got etoh in gas, i couldnt keep a weedeater running.

I only use canned fuel in my weedeater and chainsaw now. Unless you use it EVERY day, ethanol is a nightmare in small engine carburetors. I only run ethanol free in my outboards also.

Then....theres too much ethanol. More than 10% will result in higher cyl temps and varnish buildup inside engines. Mercury outboards did extensive testing.....running only 15% etoh killed engines in as little as 300 hrs... ..when 10% has no effect. There was varnish and carbon buildup on rods rings valves, etc. On top of that....etoh blends are poorly controlled and you can easily get much more than 10%. People using test kits have found even 30 or 40% ethanol in their gas before.

the best thing you can do for every engine is stay as far away from ethanol as possible. That E88 at pump is 15% ethanol.

Last edited:
The more oil in the mix, the more viscous the fuel. The more viscous the fuel, the harder it is to squeeze through the jets. Less fuel and the same amount of air = lean air/fuel ratio. Lean mix = hotter running.

Also if air filter is modified....carb needs to be adjusted to compensate.
I once drilled holes in airbox on 4wheeler......had to rejet the carb to go with it.

Back