Nitrous NOS

i don't know what to say about this whole thing, without sounding liek a know it all.
But, from experience, you CAN put Nitrous oxide on a bone stock engine without causing damage (i'm talking a 4 stroke v-8 in this case).
You can run the cast crank, and cast pistons up to 125 h.p. of nitrous. Anything over a125 h.p. shot, you will need a steel crank and forged pistons.
fuel pressure is criticial, as well as ignition timing to get the most out of using nitrous.
With these kits for the little 2 stroke motors, there is no way to add additional fuel aside from running the carb rich. You need a secondary fuel supply such as a solenoid to inject fuel under pressure. dribbling fuel into the intake or the carb will not have the same effect. If set up right and tuned right, nitrous is a huge power adder and it will not cause any damage. I've ran nitrous on many v-8's in my life and i have never seen any damage from using it (i used it a lot). The thing about nitrous is that a lot of people think that it will destroy an engine, and normally if that happens it's because the system was not set up right in the first place.
You need the nitrous source (a solenoid and a jet to inject the nitrous under pressure) and a secondary fuel source (a solenoid and a jet to inject the correct amout of fuel under pressure).

shooting starting fluid into an engine can not be very good for it because starting fluid wil not provide any lubrication. sure, it will gain a ton of power and rev to the moon, but it's doing it under VERY lean conditions...which will melt a piston in no time.

we run 175 h.p.N.O.S. on a s.b. chevy 355 with steel crank, forged pistons,alum./angle plug heads.it sure
helps get lower E.T.s .i scrapped the bottle idea on the motoredbicycles after the fore mentioned wreck.
yes, the start fluid will burn up one,i do it bout every
200 miles anyway . you gotta be spoaring..but the 2stroke runs better for a long time after the fact.

if i was gonna run nos on another motoredbicycle.....
that kit w/the little bulbs ,sounds like the way to go.

hey i run a NOS shot kit on my bike all is good and i like it, this is not a big kit just a nos shot, you can feel the increase when you hit the button and also has a safety lock. i will add to my other bikes.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t40/superdavelui/Picture055.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t40/superdavelui/Picture056.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t40/superdavelui/Picture057.jpg

I want to get one of those kits too. I just wasn't sure how one of these motors would react to it, since they aren't the strongest things around.
how long does one shot last if you hold the button down for the entire cannister? like 4-5 seconds?

Rock Solid Engines here in Australia have a nitrous kit for HT engines, complete with 5 x 16g NOS bottles.
Also a 16:1 billet aluminium head and ceramic-coated pistons. The combo would be hot with a balanced crank, expansion chamber and Mikuni, Keihin, Dellorto or similar carb.

See:-
http://shop.rocksolidengines.com.au...category_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I fitted one of their billet heads yesterday, but it hasn't stopped raining so I haven't tested it.

... Steve

P.S. For some reason, extra spaces have appeared in the above URL. "..._virt uemart..." should read "..._virtuemart..."
"...flypage..." also has an extra space.
(Delete the extra spaces when pasting into address bar)

Last edited:
Anything over a125 h.p. shot, you will need a steel crank and forged pistons..

Ive heard of ricers pushing pistons thru with over 50 hp nitrous shot. Ive also heard of diesels taking 200 hp shot w/o a hickup. I reckon it depends on what kind of engine you are working on.

On a 2 stroke, because you are often running rich, I could see this working. On a 4 stroke not so much unless you have a way to add more fuel. Remember nitrous doesnt burn it just gives the combustion process more oxygen to work with. With that extra oxygen you will need to burn additional fuel or your gains will be minimal to none.

I run Nitrous on a Harley and for it to work correctly you have to inject additional fuel at the same time the nos is injected.... The nos when injected liberates oxygen and this oxygen and the additional fuel that is injected is where the real power gain comes from... The old more fuel in the same volume bigger bang just like supercharging...... In my opinion just injecting nos without addition fuel will cause you to run into a lean condition with seasure and piston damage the outcome....

Regards Al

you're ALMOST RIGHT, but it causes predetonation, and your egt gets too high and melts your piston.

Ive heard of ricers pushing pistons thru with over 50 hp nitrous shot. Ive also heard of diesels taking 200 hp shot w/o a hickup. I reckon it depends on what kind of engine you are working on.

On a 2 stroke, because you are often running rich, I could see this working. On a 4 stroke not so much unless you have a way to add more fuel. Remember nitrous doesnt burn it just gives the combustion process more oxygen to work with. With that extra oxygen you will need to burn additional fuel or your gains will be minimal to none.
Yea but see that's usually on a dry kit, and the cars that blow up from a 50 shot are usually beat to **** already.

Like i ran my Venom VCN2000 on my dodge stealth dohc @ 125hp shot. For like a year every week going to the track.

It ran great, but it had a computer controlling the fuel injectors to add more fuel by reading of the o2 sensor and rpm.

I got the nos kit from boostbottles.com. Its a good kit... works best with the low comp head. Much more sensitive on my milled and slant heads... tends to backfire on the high comp heads.

Its fun but you only get 3-4 pulls per cartridge and they are expensive. I wouldn't worry about blowing up your engine as long as you dont excessively abuse it.

Back