White Tires

Hi MoonKS,

Whizzer & their dealer network try real hard to make owning a Whizzer a "good thing". I have been a dealer for them for several years [first dealer in NC], and have received a lot of product support & great service. You just witnessed how fast things can happen when people try harder.
As far as alignment, most often the rear belt is pulled away from the center of the clutch drive pulley, and adding the spacers usually make it line up better. If the belt is just a little too far, just add a couple of washers on the axle between the rear hub and the frame on the belt side of the rear wheel, which causes wheel to shift a little. Let us know how it all works out..........
Have fun,
Whizzer OuterBanks
Quenton

Hi Quenton,

Hopefully my tires will be in tomorrow (that's what I was told when I ordered them) - they are Thick Brick tires from Felt. My weekend project will be to get new tires, tubes on the Whizzer... My next purchase for her may be a black leather Brooks springer saddle....

I will take lots of photos of the entire process with the spacers and the belt...

Thanks again,

Matthew

The white tires were supposed to be in today - but the bike shop said they didn't come on the truck - so the project is postponed for the weekend...

Thick Brick Tire Pressure

What is the PSI rating on those thick bricks?

I was told that the 24"x3" may have a lower tire pressure rating, and may not be the best choice for a heavier motor carrying bicycle frame.

My bike can fit the thick bricks, but I don't want to commit to them if they are going to cause issues with traction, and a smooth ride.

Well, the bike shop after months and months and months was never able to get the tires in so I went a different route.... :(

Hi,
I have some information on the 26 X 3 tires [Kenda Flame] that may be helpful. The Whizzer Ambassador came with the larger tires, and when the rear tire split at the bead I called them. Of course the first comment was I didn't maitain the correct tire pressure, which wasn't true. While changing the tire, 3 problems became evident, first the tire has a very soft side wall and if under inflated, it would become very unstable, secondly the tire is almost impossible to center on the rim, and last the tire is so soft that all the tread was scuffed off in under 1000 miles. However I do think the ride was better, but like I stated earlier, if the tire were to lose its air it would become unstable on a motorbike very quickly.

Have fun,
Quenton

Hey guys, just read through this thread. What was your outcome, MoonKS? Did you go with the larger tires or what was the other way you went??? [edited to say: ah, I found an old thread and saw what you went with -- looks real nice]. I still envy the 24" bikes as I like being closer to the ground.

Quenton, do you know if there is another 26x3 tire that would give better performance? I've read your posts about the Amabassador having a smoother ride and I wonder if adding the spacers and getting the right kind of 3" wide tire on the rear would be the way to go for that on the NE5? I do check my tire pressure every time before I ride out of here. My bike has been down for a week, but I have been averaging 20-25 miles each time I take her out -- trying to get her all broken-in, riding through Golden Gate Park and back, up and down the Pacific Ocean and the Great Highway, and back home again: one of the nicest rides you would ever have and a great way to start your morning!!! Fresh ocean air!!. Of course, I am now familiar with each and every pothole surface irregularity in GG Park. I'm curious if others have had any experiences or thoughts about the 3" tire on the rear (and, remember, I am the biggest noob ever, so). I am all for a smoother ride. I don't necessarily want to change tires every 1k miles (though, honestly, I would be happy to get to 1k miles at this point!!!) -- rob

PS I found this by doing an on-line search, but I can't find any specs on it (even at the manufacturer's website):

http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/703/Tire-26-x-3-Fireball/

Last edited:
well, I read through MoonKS/Matthew's other thread about his Halo Twin Rail tires. Wondering if that would be the way to go on the rear of this bike?

Matthew, was it a smoother ride than the stock tire? These are also puncture resistant, right?

I looked them up on the internet and they have them in white, green, black and pink!!! so freakin' funny (pink). I would probably go with the white. I've always wanted to do a white racing stripe on my fenders and gas tank (similar to the guy who did that with his Yeller whizzer -- a nice two-tone look), but ... right now, I am happy to just get everything squared away on the mechanical/functional end of things. But I am thinking a lot about the rear tire since I just fixed the flat (what a *****) and want to put something on there (eventually) that is going to last me a long time. Sadly, I didn't know about the liners, or I would have put one in there.

BTW: Matthew, your posts have really helped me. I like that you patiently describe the issues you've had and give pictures and instructions for others (noobs like me) to follow. You should do a whole FAQ about the Whizzer and what not. You've helped me almost as much as the three gurus we already have on here!!! And I think it helped that you approached everything the same way someone who was a noob would (it makes it easier to follow you).

Hi Sk8erpunk,
Something that you should consider is the rim size on your bike. Whizzer uses 1.75 rims with the 2.125 tire which causes the tire to baloon and less tread touches the pavement [not sure why they use the smaller rims, maybe cheaper]. On all my personal bikes I replace the rims with the 2.125 rims and it totally changes the ride. On my Ambassador, Whizzer chose the same path, small rims and wider tires. The correct upgrade should start with wider rims to take full advantage of the larger tires. My WC-1/ NE Whizzers with the wider rims ride very similar to the Ambassador with the wider tires and narrow rims. It also takes many, many tries to make the 3" tire seat correctly on the smaller width rims.

Whizzer Guru #1 and adviser to Matthew,
Have fun,
Quenton

Back