White Tires

Thanks, Quenton!!

I was looking at the clearance issues last night with my roommate and decided right then and there that a 3" tire is probably not feasible (well, very) even with a spacer. As it is, I am just getting clearance all around.

I didn't even think about the rim. That's a great idea. -- rob

Hi Rob,

If you use a good quality 2.125 rim the entire ride will change. It will ride much smoother, respond quicker, and most importantly it will be much safer [esp. in the rain]because more of the tread touches the road. The bike will take on a heavier and more solid ride. You will be amazed at the difference. You might also consider lacing the wheels the "old" way by not having the spokes overlap and put extra pressure on the spoke "head" at the hub. Often the spokes pressing against each other cause the spoke head to ride at a un-supported angle and break more easily. I often asked why the spokes were laced this way, and why so many spokes break at the hub, but no one offered an answer. Every time my rear spokes snapped at the hub, and I had to re-lace the wheel I changed to the earlier pattern to avoid future spoke problems.

Have fun,
Quenton

Quenton, this is really helpful information!!

When I was looking around town for a thorn resistant tube, I found a really great bike shop in SF. I've never laced a wheel. What I might do is go down there when I get my bike back on the road (mostly done now, should be up and driving by tomorrow or Wednesday) and have a chat with them (turns out I know someone who works there -- small world) and figure out the best solution for my rear wheel. As much as I don't want to take it off again and deal with that rear brake hub bracket, etc ... I am a stickler for safety (and a smoother ride is, I think, worth the effort).

It seems to me that the stock rear wheel set-up on the NE5 is problematic from a number of angles (including the ones you point out). The biggest issue for me is that I know it will go out on me again, at some point, and I want to prolong that as long as possible (because it's next to impossible to change it on the road -- though, at this rate, I think I am getting faster at all of this stuff, I would still have to carry even more tools with me to be able to do that). -- rob

Hi Rob,
Let me share some additional bits of information about wheels and flat tires. On a ride at Portland, IN either last year or in 2006 one of the Whizzers had a flat tire. We were able to make it to a nearby farm and I watched the fastest tire repair ever. I would have removed the wheel, removed the tire, located the hole, patched the tube, and reversed the process. As I watched the repair take place, I soon felt somewhat amazed to learn a much simpler process was possible. They just simply removed one side of the tire from the rim, pulled out the tube, filled it with air, located the hole, applied a patch, stuffed the tube back into the tire, pushed the tire onto the rim, infalted and we were ready to ride in only a few minutes. It suddenty occured to me of all the time I have wasted removing the wheel on bikes & motorcycles, and Whizzers in my life, when I didn't need to do so. All that would be needed to repair most flats on the road would be a small air pump and a patch kit.
I used Worksman rims on several of my new edition Whizzers, but they are difficult to "true", because they are so rigid, but the final results are worth the extra effort when it comes to ride quality.

Have fun,
Quenton

I'm interested in this wider wheel idea. Do you use the sheeve from the factory wheel, and use the factory tire for a wider contact patch?

Thanks

So, what happened in the end did it work? Did you manage to get the 24"x3'" white tires on and solve the clearance problem? Were there other concerns like fender alignment or sizing.

Please let me know because I'm seriously contemplating sticking some 24" x 3" tires this winter.

There are these 24" x 2" (link below) all white tires too, but I'ld rather go fatter than thinner

:Halo Twin Rail Tire
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=22136&category=182

Back