Will Grubee 4-stroke Kit Fit Cadillac Fleetwood Cruiser Bike with NuVinci Shifting?

The Nuvinci control can be mounted on the left,no problem.It's a twistgrip type control

Mike,

The left control lever is for the Grubee clutch and the right one is for the rear brake. As JJ said the Nuvinci twist control is on the left, which means the display is upside down but it does not affect the operation. I prefer the gas throttle on the right. The idea of using a Lifan motor and transmission is interesting. I wonder if it would fit on a cruiser frame and still be able to pedal? The price on the Lifan motors is not much more than I paid for my Honda GXH50 engine without the gearbox.

OK, seems like I was wrong about too many levers for the Nuvinci. A lever on the left grip would work. Some of you guys are very knowledgeable. Let's see one of you adapt a Lifan engine. Who's going to be the first one? Maybe me. Mike S

Staton does NOT sell a "special" NuVinci hub! They sell a sprocket welded to an adapter that allows a freewheel to be used as a second input. In fact that adapter is on all NuVinci hubs from the factory. The NuVinci hub needs a freewheel added to it, (most come with this freewheel from the factory). Staton welds their machined sprocket (fixed) to a similar adapter and places the freewheel at the engine, and also uses the freewheel for pedal input.

Yes, they sell this "fixed" sprocket welded to the adapter separate.

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3274

This year i find that if you go with the honda50 four stroke kit from staton, there are many expensive "extras" you must have to mke the honda or the hs work, the least of which is a mount adapter the i think is $139.

This is an old topic but an important one.

The NuVinci won't take a 2 or 4 stroke pounding, I think it will however take a nice smooth electric motor and I am set to build one. Everything is here and I got it all at a bargain but the point is with my talks with NV tech support and my experience they won't take a gas motors so don't bother.

If you want to swing by my site and see how I do with this feel free, it should be fun.
http://KCsBikes.com

Hi KC,

I would respectfully disagree. I have had no problems with my NuVinci hub. The weak link in my setup seems to be with the clutch hub gears stripping on the Grubee gearbox. I think this is due to my weight (265 lb) and forgetting to pedal from a stop before engaging the gearbox. I am on my third gearbox and have hundreds of miles on my motored bike.

I suspect that your gear ratios may have been incorrect. I was able to determine the gear ratio from posts on this forum. Here is my post on my build if you are interested in my my jack shaft setup:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?15242-Grubee-Nuvinci-Frame-Mount-Build

Well, between me and my shop mate we have been through 6 N170's and a computer controlled 'auto shift' Dev kit. All but one N170 didn't fail on a souped up 66cc, all the rest but the ones on a 48cc toasted as well.
I can see it holding up to a 49cc 4-stroke and even better with an electric which I'm doing next, the NuVinci Caddy and 960W electric kit are right here next to me ;-}

This is an old topic but an important one.

The NuVinci won't take a 2 or 4 stroke pounding,
nashmoto's race bike with a 3+? hp hot rodded 50 cc 4 stroke
driving through a shift kitted NuVinci hub is holding up very well.

Been through about 4 races now and beats most of the 66 cc 2 strokes too.

The NuVinci did break when used on a 200 cc race bike.

311577_205655259560929_601798792_n.jpg

KC,

What gear ratios were you using? I do not race my bike and I setup the gear ratios so the NuVinci hub is not overloaded as they are designed for pedaling. Anything will break if you stress it beyond what it is designed to handle. I have a very large hill to climb on my return trip and the hub handles everything I have given it. so far.

I like the bikes you are building. I am surprised that the electric motors do not have more torque than the gas engines. What kind of range would someone as heavy as me (265 lb) get out of the motor/hub combination you are building when using acid cell batteries? I had looked at electric originally, but I need to drive 16+ miles round trip between charging the batteries and it didn't seem possible without buying more expensive batteries (which I cannot afford). I would be interested in your experiences with your setup. Do you have related posts on this forum I can check out?

Back